Are You Drunk...

...or just on your phone?

Dear person driving in front of me this morning,
I just wanted to let you know that I thought you were either drunk, which, if that's the case, it's a little early to be hitting the sauce; or you were texting/emailing on your phone.  Yes, I'm talking to you in the light green Honda minivan with the 1B***** tag.  (I have the tag number, but won't post the entire thing.)  You may wonder what great methods I used to figure out what you were doing?  Well, I happened to have my hands at 10 & 2 on the steering wheel & was able to use my sense of sight.  Wow is all I can really say.  (I was extremely focused to get where I was going this morning!)  

1st, you kinda sorta ran a stop sign just past the high school.  With around 2K students trying to make their way to school, and half of those children being fairly new drivers, I would say you put your life in serious peril.  And when you went down the hill, you need to know that police sit there trying to catch speeders....  You obviously don't have a high school student or you would know that you want to stay off your phone at all costs around new drivers.  They don't understand how fallible and fragile human life is.  They are likely to go barreling down a road & woe be to you if you're not paying full attention around them.  (they are really bad in a parking lot)  Also, our city has instituted a new distracted driving law that is enforced within 1000 feet of a school.  You were for sure within the 1000 feet, so you got away this time.

2nd, while on a very busy 2 lane road, that a bunch of those teenage drivers use to get to school, you were weaving into the other lane a bunch going around 45 mph.  If a car had been coming while you were swerving, you for sure would have caused a wreck.  Oh wait, you almost did.  A car was stopped to make a left handed turn and you almost didn't see them.  Or maybe you just like to get right up on someone's bumper before you choose to stop.  I was actually mentally prepared for you to have a wreck with someone.  I had my course of action all planned out.  I had my phone in one of my cupholders & was going to grab it while I jumped out of the car to make sure everyone was ok.  Luckily, my assistance wasn't needed, but never fear, I was watching & was ready.  Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance...the 5 P's learn them, love them, live them.

Look, I'm not trying to throw stones.  I've had those emails that were really important for me to answer, but at least I do it when I'm stopped at a stop light.  You actually have a few options to make cell phone usage & driving safer:  use the voice command on your smartphone; if you are able, hand it to someone in the passenger seat to type for you; or wait until you are stopped at a light.  At the very least learn how to multitask so you don't look like a drunk driving around the city.  Some people should really say no.  Yeesh!

I might or might not have taken a picture of said driver with my cell phone.  Remember my hands were at 10 & 2.  But, to protect the maybe guilty innocent I have chosen to not publish it, if the picture actually exists.  ;)  Watch out on the roads today, there are some crazy people out there!

Celebrating Life & knowing how to walk & chew gum at the same time!
~ashley  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro